Thursday 29 October 2015

Addicted

Shortly after getting my tooth removed, my weight loss plateaued. Purging and laxatives will only get you so far, as neither is very effective in terms of calorie control. The latter has absolutely no affect, by the time the laxative takes effect, what you have eaten has already been digested. There was a treadmill in the house, so I decided it was time to bring exercise into the equation. I was never into sports; I even managed to avoid PE class for most of secondary school. I was incredibly unfit, and a smoker(the more you smoke, the less you eat!) so in the beginning I struggled with a fast paced walk. Logically, I can see that this was to be expected: a smoker who lead a sedentary lifestyle and wouldn't even jog for a bus. But in my head, my laboured breathing and aching thighs were proof that I was still overweight. So I walked, then jogged and finally managed to run for 5 minute intervals.

Nothing happened, other than an increase in my lung capacity. But who really cares about lungs when your thighs touch? I needed to take it up a notch. I joined the gym and started doing weights, in addition to increased cardio exercises. I rowed, crunched, lifted and stepped until I was weak at the knees. I hated every second of it, I cried more than once in the locker room as I sat there heaving and sweating. My sole motivation for going was weight loss; to quiet the voice in my head that constantly remind me how disgusting I was; how weak I was; how pathetic. Unfortunately, my years of exercise avoidance meant that I knew nothing about it. I had assumed working out would equate to weight loss, it was basic physiology as far as I was concerned. I don't think I can really convey the devastation I felt when the number on the scale barely dropped. All of that effort, all of the pain and the early mornings has been for nothing. I was clearly eating far too much, I wasn't being strict enough when I was purging. It never crossed my mind that perhaps there was another reason I hadn't lost much weight. For the first time in my life I had toned and ever so slightly muscular arms. My calves and thighs were like rocks, and I could run at a steady pace without gasping for breath. Looking back, it's possible that the reason I didn't loose weight was because I had converted some of my body mass into muscle. Possible. But I couldn't see that at that time; it was just more proof that I was a failure.

I immediately quit the gym, if it wasn't going to help me loose weight I wasn't interested. Around the same time, I was experiencing some difficulties in work. I won't bore you with the details, but the situation was causing me a great deal of anxiety and stress. I knew of only two ways to cope with distress - self harm or weight loss. I chose the later. Within a few months I was purging up to 15 times a day, mostly in work. The saddest part is, I wasn't even indulging in delectable delights. My idea of a 'binge' was 4 rice cakes. By now my eating disorder had become my primary focus; what to eat and what to purge; what I could eat and when I could eat it; what lies I needed to tell to keep my secret; which pharmacy was next on the laxative rotation. I was like an addict, jonesing for my next fix and using my ED behaviours as a crutch when anything difficult or distressing happened. Focusing all my attention on food and weight also meant I could disconnect from my disintegrating emotional state.

As I have said before, I have struggled with depression for more than half of my life. It should therefore come as no surprise to you that as my ED spun out of control, my BPD characteristics reared their ugly heads again. Mood swings, irritability, depressive episodes, insecurities, impulsivity...not to mention the long list of dysfunctional thinking styles. For good measure, my body decided to join the party and began protesting my treatment of it. I'm not going to sugar-coat anything, so prepare for the ugly truth. My bowels no longer functioned on their own, I was completely reliant on laxatives and enemas. My teeth and gums ached constantly, and part of one of my front teeth broke off. Despite being on the pill, my periods became irregular. The skin on the knuckles of my right hand were so raw from rubbing against my teeth that they developed scar tissue - if I get too hot or cold my knuckles turn red and angry. My concentration waned and I was constantly irritable. My lows dropped even lower and my interest in all other aspects of my life dwindled. The acne I had suffered as a teenager flared up. I was permanently tired, and when I wasn't in work I was lying on the bed.

But what about the rest of my life? My boyfriend, family and friends? They were all secondary to my eating disorder, I no longer hesitated if I needed to lie to them to keep my secret. I had enough experience with mental health problems and knew myself well enough to know I was in trouble. But I couldn't risk losing the ED, it had become more than just a way to change my body, it was my best friend. And I wasn't willing to give it up for anything, or anyone. Even myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment