Monday 28 September 2015

Snickers

Forgive me for the lack of posts recently, I have been struggling over the last two weeks and the keyboard was too daunting to face. Ironically, blogging is one of the coping strategies that help me stay on track when I'm struggling. Keep up the good work brain, god forbid you made sense for even a minute.

I'll stop the self-flagellation there lest I scare you away. If you are even there, perhaps I am just sending my thoughts out into cyber space, to drift unseen as 1s and 0s. Maybe I should throw in some flagged words so some analyst in a bunker somewhere in Idaho has to read my blog... Anthrax are a band I like; I also like to watch The Strain, which is about a scientist from the CDC caught up in an outbreak of an unknown virus which causes strange mutations. Heroin is a narcotic, according to the news it is regularly smuggled out of Mexico by drug cartels. Tijuana is a city in Mexico, I don't think they get much snow or ice there.

Okay I'm done annoying Tim from Homeland Security, sorry Tim.

North Korea.

Sorry, last one, I promise.

But seriously, a ridiculous number of those words are allegedly flagged. I mean have there been viable threats involving ice? Angry Eskimos? Hoards of ice cube wielding Yetis? *Gasp* Is Winter coming?

Back to the matter at hand, me being nuttier than a Snickers. After being kicked out of my college dorm I stayed in a hotel until I ran out of money. Then I slept on a friends couch for a while, trying to make it to the end of the semester before facing my parents. I had no hope of passing any exams so I didn't even bother opening a book. Instead I continued to self medicate with drugs and alcohol and slice my arms and thighs open whenever I could. As you can imagine my memories of that time are hazy, but there is one moment that stands out among all the chaos.

I was outside with a group of 1st year students I knew. If I'm honest, part of the reason I had initially befriended them was because most of my existing friends had come to a point where coursework was given priority over the more hedonistic aspects of college life. This approach did not fit in with my self-destructive lifestyle, so I needed new playmates. As a happy coincidence they were all interesting, smart and funny people.

So we were outside one day, sitting under a tree on campus. Everyone was laughing, joking, making plans for the weekend and I was sitting slightly back from them, enjoying the speed I had just sucked up my nostrils. As I looked at them I was struck by this overwhelming sense of loss, there was a sudden wrenching in the pit of my stomach and I had to close my eyes to hold back the tears. I realised that I was looking at something I would never have. This group in front of me represented everything that was lost to me - the future, possibilities, happiness. That was the first time I really believed that my suicide was a foregone conclusion. That it wasn't something that might happen, something to dream about when my thoughts grew to heavy. It was my destiny, the only mystery was when. It's a strange thing to accept your own death as fact, terrifying and liberating at the same time. After that day I no longer needed others to give me an excuse to misbehave, I threw myself head first into being as stupid as possible. It was a wonder I had any friends left, so many of them had to carry me, hold my hair or patch me up. Or just generally be in my obnoxious presence.

Luckily (or unluckily depending on how I'm feeling) I hit a speed bump on my way out of life. I had taken to smashing pint glasses and self harming in toilets on nights out. One night, unsatisfied with my attempts to cut my wrist, I decided to stab myself in the stomach. I won't go into the gory details, but it was pretty disgusting. At this point I was self harming nearly every day, I knew what I was doing. But every so often, you make a mistake. You press too deep, or whatever you're using was too sharp or you just got a bit too enthusiastic. Whatever the cause, there's a split second where you realise you've messed up and time actually stops. Everything freezes. And then it happens, before you can even blink its like the elevator doors opening in The Shining. If anyone reading this has ever self harmed, you'll most likely know exactly what I'm talking about. Well this was one of those times, I knew immediately I had gone too far. I was drunk, in a dingy pub on a night out and there were at least two hours of drinking left. So I did what any rational person would do, i wrapped toilet roll around myself and pulled back down my top and wandered off into the night. I lasted about 5 minutes before the toilet paper failed and I was rumbled.

I eventually allowed myself to be brought to A&E the next morning, where I was stitched up and referred for a psych evaluation. My mother was called, and after she spoke to the psychiatrist she told me that if I didn't sign myself into the nearest psychiatric hospital I would be sectioned. This was a lie, but one told with good intentions (I've only come to terms with that lie in the last year, it was a serious point of contention for many years. When we arrived at the hospital I was put on the closed ward, intended for acutely ill patients, including those who are a danger to themselves or others. As I was considered a suicide risk I stayed on the ward for five nights for assessment. My first time as an inpatient was both frightening, and enlightening. Fortunately my doctor decided to release me and refer me back to the day hospital programme I had attended the previous summer. It felt like I had come full circle and was back at the beginning, or the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment